There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Thanks for your interest in being a part of apt. We publish longform work in print once a year and short work online once a week.
If a genre doesn't appear below, we are not currently accepting submissions for that genre.
NOTE: As of July 26, 2018, we are NOT accepting submissions for online publication. We got slammed when everyone else closed their submissions for the summer, so now have to catch up. Please do not submit short work under our print categories. If you do, they will be declined without being read.
Please read the guidelines below and familiarize yourself with apt before submitting.
WHAT WE WANT FROM YOU
- Include a brief bio (30 words or fewer) written in the third person. If you do not include a bio and we accept your work, we will make something up. It will be complimentary, but likely not factual.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Just let us know if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
- We want you to proofread. We want you to use spellcheck.
- We want you to make us think AND feel.
- OUR WISH LIST:
- Work from writers of color
- Work from LGBTQIA writers
- Work from disabled writers
- Work from women and non-gender-conforming writers
- Literary activism: work addressing how to remain strong and aware during this dark political epoch we're enmeshed in (Russian influence in the US 2016 election, Brexit, mass incarceration/the prison industrial complex in the US, the GOP's attempt to delegitimize the work of climate scientists, the ongoing war against people from the Middle East, the Israel/Palestine conflict, the attack against the First Amendment in the US, the GOP's effort to rob women of reproductive rights, etc.), and allow us to underline this point: work addressing these issues is not limited to non-fiction
- Hybrid writing
- More non-fiction
- We tend to get more fiction and poetry submissions than any other genre. We don't want to have to solicit work--we prefer discovering good writing by new writers via the queue--but we want to present a balanced view of genres.
WHAT WE DO NOT WANT FROM YOU
- Previously published material.
- Writing about writing. Stories about writers. Poems about poetry.
- Preachy religious material.
- Any work that is racist, misogynist, homophobic, bi-phobic, transphobic, xenophobic, hateful, etc.
WHEN YOU WILL HEAR FROM US
- For online submissions, we will respond within 30 days.
- For print submissions, we will respond within 3 months.
WHAT CONTRIBUTORS RECEIVE
All contributors with work featured in print issues will receive $50 and one contributor’s copy of the issue in which their work appears. At this time, there is no payment for online publication, but work we've published online has been reprinted in The Best of the Net, and received notice from The Best American Essays, so we'll still champion your work, no matter the genre.
We reserve first printing rights, including publication in apt in both printed and ebook formats, and the right to excerpt portions of accepted work online in order to promote you, your work, and the journal. The copyright to your work is always held by you. If we publish your work on the website, we reserve first North American electronic publication rights and the right to keep it here in archives indefinitely. All other rights remain property of the author. If you reprint any of your work which originally appeared in apt, we ask that you acknowledge that fact.