There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Thanks for your interest in being a part of apt. We publish longform work in print once a year. Our tenth issue is due in 2020. The theme will be climate change.
Please read the guidelines below and familiarize yourself with apt before submitting.
If you do not see an option to submit work in a specific genre (e.g., Poetry - Online), we're not currently reading or publishing that genre.
WHAT WE WANT FROM YOU
- A brief bio (30 words or fewer) written in the third person. If you do not include a bio and we accept your work, we will make something up. It will be complimentary, but likely not factual.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Just let us know if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
- We want you to proofread. We want you to use spellcheck.
- We want you to make us think AND feel.
- OUR WISH LIST:
- Work from writers of color
- Work from LGBTQIA writers
- Work from disabled writers
- Work from women and non-gender-conforming writers
- Hybrid writing
- More non-fiction
WHAT WE DO NOT WANT FROM YOU
- Previously published material.
- Writing about writing. Stories about writers. Poems about poetry.
- Preachy religious material.
- Any work that is racist, misogynist, homophobic, bi-phobic, transphobic, xenophobic, hateful, etc.
WHEN YOU WILL HEAR FROM US
- For print submissions, we will respond within 3 months.
WHAT CONTRIBUTORS RECEIVE
All contributors with work featured in print issues will receive $50 and one contributor’s copy of the issue in which their work appears.
We reserve first printing rights, including publication in apt in both printed and ebook formats, and the right to excerpt portions of accepted work online in order to promote you, your work, and the journal. The copyright to your work is always held by you. If we publish your work on the website, we reserve first North American electronic publication rights and the right to keep it here in archives indefinitely. All other rights remain property of the author. If you reprint any of your work which originally appeared in apt, we ask that you acknowledge that fact.